Summer has FINALLY arrived and along with summer in South Surrey / White Rock comes a number of great community events, and festivals that you won’t want to miss. We’ve compiled a list of the best summer events around town to make sure you get the most out of summer living in South Surrey & White Rock!
July 1st – Canada Day by the Bay
An annual tradition on White Rock Beach is the Canada Day by the Bay celebration, an all-day family friendly event which finishes with a stunning fireworks display over Semiahmoo Bay at 10:15.
Family friendly events take place on both east and west beach and between the two ends of the beach the promenade will be lined with 80+ vendors! Check out our event listing for full details on what to expect including the Half Moon Dentistry Kids Zone on East Beach, food trucks on West Beach and the Re/Max Sea Stage by the White Rock Museum. Here’s what to expect on either side of the beach!
Various Nights – TD Concerts at the Pier
Hosted by the White Rock BIA the TD Concerts at the pier series is a free concert series with live music set against the stunning backdrop of White Rock beach in the parking lot next to the White Rock Museum.
This year’s lineup features a great line up of Canadian classic rock bands, cover bands and more to entertain the crowds and get everyone dancing. Here’s the line up for the 2017 TD Concerts at the Pier click each link for more details.
- Thursday July 6th: 7 – 10pm
- 7pm: Blue Voodoo
- 8pm: CHILLIWACK Classic Canadian Rock Band
- Saturday July 15th: 8– 10pm **AT 5 CORNERS following the Tour de White Rock
- 8pm: R&B ALL STARS
- There’s a beer garden at this one!
- Thursday July 20th: 7-10pm
- 7pm: Opening Act Crossroads Rock Band
- 8pm: EAGLE EYES Eagles Tribute Band
- Thursday July 27th 7-10pm
- 7pm: Opening Act The Escapes
- 8pm: LED ZEPAGAIN Led Zeppelin Tribute Band
- Thursday August 10th: 7-10pm
- 7pm: Ava Carich
- 745pm: Velveteins
- 8pm: LITTLE DESTROYER
- Saturday August 19th: 7-10pm
- 7pm: Spirit
- 8pm: PLATINUM BLONDE Legendary 80s Canadian rock band
July 7 – 17th Canada Cup International Softball Championship
An annual event in South Surrey is the Canada Cup at Softball City, Sunnyside Park and Cloverdale Athletic Park which brings elite, international female athletes to our community to compete at a world class level in softball. Canada Cup has often been a pre-cursor to the summer Olympics and while there’s no Olympics this year softball has been added back to the roster for Tokyo 2020. Here’s a chance to watch Olympic calibre athletes in our own backyard.
The Canada Cup also showcases emerging female softball players who are rising up to join their national teams with the Futures tournament (U19 players) and the Showcase tournament (U16 players).
Spend an afternoon taking in world class softball in the recently renovated Softball City. Find the complete schedule and details here.
July 15th & 16th Tour de White Rock
One of White Rock’s premier events is the 38th annual Tour de White Rock sponsored by Global BC and Steve Nash Fitness! A record number of cyclists have signed up for this two day cycle race!
Spectators can watch as these world class cyclists race through our streets and climb up our unforgiving hills! Plus there’s a full day of family friendly events scheduled for Saturday including:
Saturday July 15th Choices Markets Criterium
- 230 – 730 – Family Fun Zone includes Games and Activities near White Rock Elementary
- 3:00pm – Kids Bike Parade
- 3:30pm – Kids Bike Race
- 4:00pm – U-15 Criterium
- 4:30pm – Men’s Cat 3/4
- 5:30pm – Women’s
- 6:30pm – Men’s
- 8:00pm – TD Concert Series at Five Corners featuring R&B All Stars and a beer garden!
Sunday July 16 the Peace Arch News Road Race
- 9:00am – Men’s
- 9:05am – Women’s
July 16th Champion of the Crescent
For the second year in a row the Champion of the Crescent charity event brings together Stand Up Paddle boarders of every skill level for a day out at Blackie Spit raising funds for kids mental health programs throughout the Fraser Valley via the Surrey Hospital & Outpatient Centre Foundation.
There’s a race for every skill level from competitive SUP’ers who will compete for a chance to win $3,000, to recreational boarders and kids who will compete for a chance to win great prizes. Racers must remember to pre-register here!
Spectators can enjoy a day out at the legendary Blackie Spit and spend the day watching and learning about this the growing sport of Stand Up Paddleboarding. Don’t miss the corporate relay race which is a fan favourite! There’s also an all day Family Fun Zone and SUP expo for people to explore.
August 5th & 6th White Rock Sea Festival
One of Canada’s longest running festivals the White Rock Sea Festival returns to White Rock beach for the August long weekend.
With two full days of family friendly events stretching from East to West Beach there’s an activity for everyone. Highlights from the festival include
Saturday August 5th
- 930 – 1230: Sand Soccer Skills Competition
- 10 – 3pm: Kids Sand Golf
- 10 – 1020pm fireworks over Semiahmoo Bay
Sunday August 6th
- 10 – 3pm: Sandcastle Competition
- 11 – 2pm: White Rock Skimboarding demo
- 830 – 11pm: Legendary Torchlight Parade
Plus, this year there White Rock Events Society has a free shuttle running from 9am – 1145pm from the parking lots at Earl Marriott Secondary and Semiahmoo Secondary to make getting to and from the beach a breeze!
Find a full list of events scheduled check here.
August 16th – Canada 150 White Rock Celebrations featuring The Snowbirds Fly for CH.I.L.D, Washboard Union and Fireworks!
Every few years we are treated to a breathtaking aerial performance by Canada’s legendary Snowbirds over Semiahmoo Bay. We’re lucky to have the Snowbirds Fly for CH.I.L.D back for 2017 and this time White Rock is turning it into an all day celebration for Canada 150 including all day activities along White Rock beach, live music by rising Canadian country band Washboard Union and a grand fireworks finale to cap off the Canada 150 celebrations.
Aug 15 – 20th Beach House Theatre – Crescent Beach
The team behind Beach House Theatre bring live theatre to life against the natural beauty of Blackie Spit in Crescent Beach – this is our communities version of Bard on the Beach.
This year the talented team are bringing two shows to life:
- The Commedia Tales of King Arthur
- Aug 16th – 20th – Doors 1030am/ Curtain 11am
- This show is perfect for younger audiences as it’s full of hilarious antics to keep kids and adults entertained.
- Purchase tickets here
- The Heart of Robin Hood
- Aug 15th – 20th – Doors 730pm/ Curtain 8pm
- Written in 2012 the Heart of Robin Hood by David Farr of the Royal Shakespeare Company has received critical acclaim and Beach House Theatre is one of the first theatre companies to bring this show to Canada! The classic English story is given a modern twist and will keep audiences entertained! **Note this play is recommended for adults & well prepared children 10+ due to scenes of violence and swordplay.
- Purchase tickets here